Dear David Jonnson,

 

Dear David,

First, let me congratulate you and the success you have had thus far in your career. I just recently watched The Long Walk and you were incredible. The emotion you portrayed on screen was stellar. The way you brought Peter McVries to life, showcasing his bravery and vulnerability, was felt deeply by me. I’ll be sure to check out your other projects and get on board to becoming a true fan.

David, you have just been handed a mantle. Not just a roll. A mantle. And that’s pressure! On top of what the character Black Panther means to me and many others, it’s the soul of Chadwick Boseman that carries the heaviest weight with the fans. And not because of his unexpected death, it’s the unforgettable talent his possessed and brought to this mantle. To say you have big shoes to fill is an understatement. However, that isn’t something I think you’ll have a problem with. Marvel sees something in you and I want to join them in saying I see it, too.

The true purpose of this blog entry is to warn you. And yeah, I know little ol’ nobody me is an insignificant voice among the masses that you or others will probably never hear, but my heart aches for what I know you are about to endure. But not from the mantle. Not from the shoes. From the “fans”.

They will attack you. They will associate you and your name with things like “unworthy”, “too young”, “fake” and many others. They will directly credit or blame you for the inevitable success or the highly unlikely failure of Black Panther 3. Some will go so far as say things like “you stole the role” or “you’re not good looking enough”. The racist will create new ways to hate you. The toxic feminists will find new ways to vilify you. And the fickle fanbase will hang on and spin every word you have ever spoken from you past. You will be judged harshly.

But I believe in you. You got this. I trust Coogler and Feige in their decision. You’re gonna be great. If you bring to Black Panther what you brought to The Long Walk, this movie will be dope! I pray your excellency will shine through on and off camera. I pray your artistry will be the focus of conversations. I pray the pressure of the mantle does not weigh you down.

Kill and eat, young King! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dear Beau DeMayo…

Akira Toriyama: A Blerd Godfather